LEAVING CHELTENHAM …………..and all that was dear
Cheltenham War Memorial
West Panel – Unveiling Details and Names Added After Unveiling
Location: The Promenade, Cheltenham
Grid Reference: SO 948224
Erected: 1st October 1921
IWM War Memorial Ref No: 20599
Names listed on this Panel: 37
Alphabetical list of names on the West Panel (Names added after Unveiling)
Those marked with * should be linked with the notes against their name in the “Notes” panel below
Barrow J J *
Comley A C
Dougherty J J *
Earle W *
Earle W H
Eggleton R *
Eggleton R W
Elliott R C *
Fogerty E V *
Fogerty H E *
Fricker E J
Glenny H Q
Guest A J
Hawkins A E
Hodgson E G
Hunt A F
Jenkins A F *
Newbury E M
Rumbles H *
Stotherd S B *
Thompson G S
Uzzell F C
Wale E J
Yates A J
Names added to the Memorial on 18th September 2016 as part of the major refurbishment
Baker T H
Cox J G
Fox R F
Ivin L *
Roberts E H J
1. Barrow died on 6th May 1921 and is buried in Charlton Kings Cemetery.
2. Dougherty died on 20th September 1920 and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.
3. Earle W is probably a duplicate commemoration on this panel.
4. Eggleton R died on 21st February 1919 and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.
5. Elliot S died in Cheltenham on 4th February 1921 and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.
6. Elliott R C was added to the memorial as late as 1993.
7. Fogerty E V died on 18th January 1920 and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.
8. Fogerty H E died on 28th September 1919 and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.
9. Jenkins died in Mesopotamia on 21st August 1921.
10. Rumbles is probably Henry Rumbold.
11. Stotherd is probably a duplicate commemoration of Major S Stothard – see North Panel.
12. Ivin was born Francis Leonard Ivin.
Page last amended: 20th September 2016